WHAT IS THIS?
We bring together different pieces of information that are of interest to the system operator as well as its customers.
Total number of trips from one station to another, proportion of trips made by subscribers, and trip distributions over time.
Average number of bikes/docks and usage patterns (i.e., number of incoming and outgoing trips) at each station.
Directions from one station to another along with the elevation profile. (Directions courtesy of MapQuest)
Instagram photos taken around a bike station--a fun way to explore the area!
With the interactive map, you can easily explore stations in your neighborhood and compare one station with another station nearby (or farther away). Here are some of the interesting questions that can be addressed using this tool.
For operator/transportation planner:
- From a given station, were there fewer trips to stations farther away?
- Which areas attract more tourists/commuters? (based on the proportation of trips by subscribers)
- How does bike availability of neighboring stations compare? Is a customer likely to find a bike at the nearest station if his/her preferred station is full?
- Does a station have imbalanced usage pattern at a certain time of day, which may lead to a full or empty station?
- For a given pair of stations, were there more trips in the downhill direction?
- Based on the nearby photos, what are the trending places or events that may generate a spike in demand? Are there any interesting businesses we might want to partner with?
- From my home station, where do other customers bike to?
- How likely will I find an available dock at a station?
- How to bike from one station to another? Is it difficult?
- What are fun things to do around a station?
- Click on a station to pop out the menu.
- Select one of the modes ('Trip Stats', 'Availability', 'Bike Routes', and 'Nearby Photos') or click elsewhere to change station.
- For 'Trip Stats' and 'Bike Routes' mode, roll your mouse over another station (a trip destination) to see the information. Click on the station to make the content remain in the dialog box while zooming/moving the map.
- Click the 'x' mark in the dialog box to back out your selection.